Saturday, June 26, 2010

TV SHOW MEME DAY 26 *SHOW SPOILERS FOR DEXTER AND CSI*

Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.

Well this was one that was not fun to relive. "Biggest season finale shocker." For me it really came down to two. I mean a good season finale shocker is usually, and correct me if I'm wrong, is usually the death or attack of a character. Usually death tends to have more impact but when Derek "McDreamy" is getting shot in the chest or one of the numerous ER shootouts happen, it tends to be just as effective.

But when I think character death shockers I always think of two shows: Dexter and CSI. While CSI Miami and New York have been more open to offing their characters, CSI (or CSI Vegas) tends to just have them leave or attacked but still alive. It never seems death is imminent on CSI Vegas. Dexter on the other hand has a lot of deaths but usually not involving any of the main characters, unless they are somewhat smaller or they are total asses to people. In fact I can only think of two characters dying that were main and that was Doakes and Lundy. But Doakes was a jerk and Lundy was an on and off character.

But both shows have had one very impacting season finale. For Dexter it was Season 4's death of Rita Morgan by the Trinity Killer and for CSI Vegas it was the death of Warrick. Both were main characters and both were viciously murdered. The difference, and why I picked Warrick over Rita, is Rita was a bit naggy and annoying the entire season and in the moments leading up you could guess that she had died (phone ringing IN the house, baby crying ect). On the other hand Warrick was always a fan favorite who was always a fun character to watch. And then out of nowhere, just when you expect the credits to start rolling, he gets shot in the neck.

I loved Warrick and he didn't deserve to die. And the sudden impact that nobody saw coming, mixed with look of shock on his face and the sadness in Grissom's eyes as he dies, and just the fact that a show NOT known for killing main characters KILLS A MAIN CHARACTER was just overwhelming. I could not believe what I saw as my mouth dropped. Sorry Rita but Warrick beat ya out on this one.



1 comment:

  1. I had once casually watched CSI until that ending, y'know, I hate destruction of cast dynamic. I have to learn new characters, you gotta deal with the next few episodes of angstin' and whatnot, it's just a pain in the ass.

    ReplyDelete