Monday, December 7, 2009

Can we take a direct flight back to reality, or do we have to change planes in Denver?


Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.

Usually I hate films that include Tim Allen. Honestly besides Galaxy Quest I haven't seen a movie where I DO actually like him. But for all my gripes about him he has put out some good classics for kids and one of them that has been the most famous and definetly his most remebered is the Santa Clause series. Divided into three movies over multiple years, the first one still stands head and shoulders above the others. Honestly the second one is lackluster and the third makes me cry tears of boredom and sadness. But the first one is still a Christmas classic (in the loosest sense of the word) so it deserves a good review.

The story follows Scott Calvin, a buisnessman who accidently kills Santa Claus (yay kids your dreams are now dead thanks to Tim Allen...sigh). In what he thinks to be a dream, Scott goes along with the idea that he killed Santa and now must put on the suit and deliver presents. What he doesn't realize is that by putting on the suit he has now signed into the Santa Clause which says that if you put on the suit you become Santa. Little by little he turns into Jolly Saint Nick and eventually he becomes Santa full on.

Its a sweet story that I guess is pretty original. For once the kid in a Christmas movie isn't tear your hair out annoying and it does have some pretty good laughs. Its PG Disney comedy folks, they don't have a whole lot of material to work with. Tim Allen makes a good Santa and honestly he DOES do a good job.

It lacks a true holiday punch and the fact they killed Santa was a bit shocking growing up but overall its a decent enough holiday movie. So if you havent seen it, check it out...and only this one...youve been warned.

MY VERDICT: SEE IT

2 comments:

  1. Better film than you expect - the second one isn't so bad either. Check out Big Trouble and Redbelt for decent Allen. I also enjoyed Wild Hogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love Wild Hogs but havent seen Big Trouble or Redbelt yet. Yeah after watching the second one again its not THAT bad. I still think that the first ones the best and the third one makes me cry but the second one has grown on me

    ReplyDelete