Monday, December 7, 2009

"What do you mean you people!?" "...What do YOU mean you people?!"


Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.

Satire as art. That's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about this movie. Almost every line, scene, gesture, anything is all a satire of something. Honestly there isn't an original thing about this movie. But in its unoriginally and full on satirical stance comes a brilliant film that is original by being unorignial.

If that blew your mind I'm sorry. But I mean what I say. Ben Stiller, who writes, produces, directs and stars in this movie crafts a film SO good and SO funny that I had to buy it because on the third time I saw it in theatres I was still missing jokes. From the first frame of the film you know what your getting yourself into. This film holds NOTHING back and is unrelenting. When you laugh you better have the volume up and subtitles on because you will miss jokes. And even when its not saying anything its parodying any of the hundreds of war movies that have been made. But what is a film so rifled with satire and homages about?

Well its about five actors (Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr, Brandon T Jackson and Jay Baruchel) who are in Vietnam shooting a movie based on the life of a Vietnam war vet (Nick Nolte) headed up by a newcomer director (Steve Coogan). When the producer (Tom Cruise) gets pissed and wants the movie made, the director and Nolte drop off the actors in the middle of the Vietnam jungle, with cameras surrounding the entire jungle.

Really thats all I can say about the plot but trust me it gets funnier, deeper and ultimatley better by the end of it. And you WILL have to watch it a few times just to hear all of the jokes.

Its one of the funniest movies ever made and if you haven't seen it than you really owe it to yourself to pick this one up. It will look good in your DVD library.

MY VERDICT: OWN IT

No comments:

Post a Comment