Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Hi, I'm Theodore. Hi, I'm Theodore. Hi, I'm Theodore" "Yes he is Theodore. I think they get it."


Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.

I was bored today and since I've been on a movie watching binge lately I decided to see another one..preferably one that came out today. Well I was geared up and ready to go see Up in The Air which will probably be one of the best movies of the year. Well I accidentally fell back to sleep and woke up an hour after Up in The Air had started. So I went to the theater and saw the first thing playing. I shuddered a little because the first thing playing was Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel. I should have walked out of the theater then and there: seriously say the title out loud with a straight face. But in retrospect I am kinda glad I didn't.

The theater was packed to the brim with 3-10 year old's and so I really felt like the odd man out. I'm no stranger to the Chipmunks...in fact I was a huge fan growing up. I watched the cartoon religiously and saw every single mini movie as well. So when I heard they were making a live action film I was intrigued. Well I will review it eventually but the first one was garbage. I probably would have rather stuck a fork in my eye repeatedly while listening to Barney than watch it again. So needless to say I didn't have high hopes for this one. In fact I actually stood in front of the cinema for about ten minutes before going in. But eventually I did and the movie started.

The film begins with a concert where Alvin and the Chipmunks are playing Van Halen's You Really Got Me. After that extended music scene (granted it was pretty cool) the film actually begins when Dave gets injured during said concert and breaks what appears to be every bone in his body. So Dave decides the boys need a break and sends them to school. In Dave's place he gets Toby, his nephew (played by Chuck's Zachary Levi) to take care of them. He is a slacker gamer who does nothing except eat, sleep and play games. Toby takes the boys to school where they are instantly popular and hated by the jocks. When they are sent to the principals office the principal (Just Shoot Me's Wendie Malick) says that they won't be suspended if they perform in a charity event that will earn their dying music department enough money to survive.

Meanwhile Ian Hawke (David Cross) is in the gutter after losing his gig with the Chipmunks and decides to take revenge in the form of singing FEMALE chipmunks called the Chipettes.

Really that's about it plotwise but its actually a pretty well developed, albeit stereotypical, plot. The acting from the humans is TEN TIMES better than the first with most of them actually trying. Malick and Levi give great and actually believable performances while Cross remains silly as ever.

Essentially its a kids movie. Nothing more, nothing less. If you are over the age of ten you will probably hate this movie. Even if you grew up with the chipmunks you probably will hate it. Me? Honestly I have seen plenty worse and they actually tried this time around. I kinda liked it actually. Not a great or groundbreaking movie by any means but if you got young kids then this will provide some decent entertainment.

MY VERDICT: RENT IT

3 comments:

  1. You really do keep true to your oath. I'd have to be paid to review ALvin & the Chipmunks 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a well laid out website. I like how you have presented the information in full detail. Keep up the great work and please stop by at my site watch alvin and the chipmunks 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    We've browsed through your reviews and thought that they are really original and interesting! We would like to invite you to publish your reviews on 7tavern.com, which provides an alternative platform for promising movie reviewers to showcase their talents. In addition, you'll find a growing community of bloggers who share the same passion for excellent movies! Based on the merit of your reviews, we intend to offer you exclusive publishing privileges on our website!

    Cheers,
    7tavern Team
    admin@7tavern.com

    ReplyDelete