Wednesday, July 20, 2011

We're takers love, that's what we do...take


Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.

Intro: I want to know who green-lit this picture. I really do. Actually, no, I want to know who cast this film. I want that person fed to llamas as quickly as possible. I can get the whole urban bank robbers getting chased by cops thing. The story has been done to death and done much better in other movies but it's still a genre worth revisiting if done right. But the casting in this film is downright awful. Besides maybe Idris Elba and Matt Dillon, nobody on the screen at any time had any reason to be there. None of the other people in the movie can act, or at least act in this movie and they do nothing more than make me want to tear out my hair. Add in some of the stupidest dialogue I have ever heard and some of the most bang-your-head-against-a-wall inducing plot turns and you have this steaming pile of crap.

Plot: Boy I wish I could tell ya because the film does a poor job of giving us one. The basic outline is a group of skilled bank robbers are setting up for a big heist and two detectives are trying to hunt them down. All the while the robbers have to deal with a deadly former friend and co-worker who may or may not double cross them at any time. The plot is Swiss cheese with the amount of holes it has, not to mention the absolutely terrible logic some characters use. You'd think some of these characters had mental illnesses. The dialogue is asinine, pedantic and speaks to the lowest common denominator. At one point it just turns into Flava Flav hype man yelling for five minutes. Either the writers gave up or realized nobody would care about the film at this point.
Pros: Explosions, shoot-outs and chase scenes are always nice. Matt Dillon and Idris Elba at least try.

Cons: Everything else. The plot, the acting from everyone else, the pacing, the ending, the dialogue...this film just fails on almost every level. 

Final Thoughts: Unless you have a gun to your head you have no real reason to watch this movie. Watch Heat or another movie that doesn't make robbery films look stupid.

MY VERDICT: ABOMINATION TO CINEMA 

No comments:

Post a Comment