Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When I was growing up, they would say you could become cops or criminals. But when you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?


Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.



It comes to nobody's surprise that I adore Martin Scorsese as one of the greatest directors of all time. And considering his next film is coming soon I better review his big movie that came out a while back: the Departed.



The Departed is one of the best movies I have ever seen and to this day remains in my top 10. Of course Scorsese's great direction and script control (he didnt write it) probably had a lot to do with it. Or maybe it was the large cast of great actors. But sometimes that can bite ya in the butt (Oceans 13) and sometimes it can be a little too quirky or weird (The Life Aquatic). Scorsese balances everything out great. You got Jack Nicholson as the main villain, playing a mob boss that is sarcastic, witty and carries a dark past and presence with him the entire movie. Then you got Scorsese's new apprentice Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon working on opposite sides of the crime spectrum in yet both delivering some of there best performances. Throw in Alec Baldwin and Mark Wahlberg in as bit characters and you got a great cast together that makes the movie really enjoyable.

I wont say anything about the plot except for the line you see at the top. This is one of those films that you just have to enjoy and take the ride. If you happen to be a fan of Scorsese or if you like any of the actors and maybe are fans of the Godfather, Goodfellas or any other gangster film, this is probably one of the best. I definetly own it, you should too and it is to this day as enjoyable as it was the first time I watched it.

MY VERDICT: TOP 20

No comments:

Post a Comment