Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I want to play a game


Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.

Its time ladies and gentlemen. Time for me to review one of my favorite movie series besides Star Wars and the Matrix...the saw series. I was thinking about doing this as one big giant series review but then i decided against it. Most of these movies stand on their own as individual movies, despite a few plot points and scenarios that carry over from movie to movie. So in honor of the series I will nitpick each one on its own starting with the best and the first in the series.

Saw 1 is the low budget 2004 brainchild of James Wan and Leigh Whannell. They are visionaries in terms of pushing moral and ethical boundries of film, without going over the limit...something the Hostel series did. Saw 1 is essentially one giant set piece with three actors in a room. And the fact that to this day it still holds my interest and is still as awesome as it first was is a shock. Saw 1 stars Leigh Whannel as Adam, a photographer who takes pictures of rich people and sells them, and Doctor Lawrence Gordon, a doctor who sleeps around behind his wifes back. They each have serious flaws but are stuck together in a tiny, dirty bathroom. And the whole time they are there, there is a dead body laying in the middle of the room. The plot thickens once they regain there composure and listen to one of the two things on the dead persons body: a tape recorder, the other item being a gun with one bullet. Its then we are introduced to Jigsaw with his signature phrase "Hello Doctor Gordon, I want to play a game." This game consists of them being trapped in this room until six. In that time Doctor Gordon must kill Adam or his family will die. While the majority of the plot is taken with Gordon and Adam the other side is focused mainly on Detective Tapp and Sing as they investigate and try to find Jigsaw.

To me what makes this movie so special is the idea of morality and choice. As well as the most shocking heart dropping ending in film history. I wont ruin it for you but you will never see it coming and the first time I saw it I literally felt like my mind was blown. Not even the Sixth Sense could do that.

Even if you dont like horror movies, the first Saw is the best, least goriest, most story driven and ultimately just a really good movie and one of my favorites. If you want to continue the story though youll just have to see the second one...whose review will be up eventually.

MY VERDICT: TOP 20

No comments:

Post a Comment