Tuesday, October 6, 2009

To kill an infidel, the Pope has said, is not murder; it is the path to Heaven.





Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.



You ever have a movie you watch so many times, not because you want to, but because you get suckered into it or its an assignment in class. Between Swing Kids and this its tough to guess which one I saw the most. Although unlike Swing Kids, I actually really enjoy this movie.



I cant put my finger on it either. I cant tell if its the Ridley Scott factor, since I love every single one of Ridley Scotts movies. Or it could be the cast. Liam Neeson, Michael Sheen, and Edward Norton all together on one screen. That should be some major star power right? Well yeah except the only problem is this movie is focused on Orlando Bloom's Balian. And not to knock Orlando Bloom but he is just not a good actor. He always plays the suave and dirty scoundral who you love...or hate (with the exception of Legolas, that was actually cool). So its probably not the acting. Maybe its the writing. William Monahan is a brilliant writer writing such movies as The Departed and Body of Lies. Or maybe it could be the fantastic soundtrack and cinematography. I dunno.



Maybe its a mix of all those things but either way the movie ultimately works. The story is engaging and feels like an epic without NEEDING to be an epic. Although at 189 minutes (or 144 still either way) its a pretty long movie. So it tends to be hard sitting through some of the filler scenes. Do you really think I care about Balian walking around for three minutes? No not really. Its like they decided they need filler before they spring on the next big scene.



But to keep walking from getting old fast they threw in a romance subplot...how cute. Eva Green (my God what a hot woman) plays the Princess that Balian pines over. There is only one problem: A GOD WILLS IT overusing douche named Guy who thinks he is better than everyone. Marton Csokas plays the oaf really well making him out to be a serious threat.



The atmosphere of the movie, mixed with the overall feeling of tension and the wide sweeping long shots add a lot of depth to the movie and make you feel like you are really there. And if anyone say Gladiator I can say that this film is MUCH deeper in terms of story than Gladiator


Before I give my verdict I need to mention one thing: EDWARD NORTON! Yes my favorite actor ever gives one of his greatest performances in this movie as the leper ridden King Baldwin. He refuses to give up the crown so walks around wearing a mask and looking like the ghoul from Spirited Away. And this is where his great acting comes into play. YOU NEVER SEE HIS FACE. All his acting relies on his vocal tone and expressions with his body. And he is bone chillingly good. Before I go here is proof of how good he is.



Overall a really good and well made movie

MY VERDICT: SEE IT

No comments:

Post a Comment