Friday, October 23, 2009

What is that? Souvlaki! Is it good?


Hello I am the movie encyclopedia and if no one else will see it, I will.

I dont know about the rest of you but I actually enjoyed my big fat greek wedding. I thought it was a nice, sweet chick flick that was really entertaining to watch. Now Nia Vardalos is back and now IN Greece for her new movie My Life in Ruins. The only problem is the charm that Vardalos had in BFGW seems to have dissolved a bit.

My Life in Ruins is about Georgia (Vardalos) who is a Greek American tour guide. She's not exactly the most well loved tour guide and usually gets stuck with the rejects in her group. Whether its an ignorant American couple, a couple of Australians, a thick frat boy, an IHOP employee, an old couple (the wife steals...A LOT) or a crotchety old man who makes fun of the tour and Georgia as much as possible (done by the wonderful Richard Dreyfus) she really hates her groups that she gets. In fact she hates her job. She wants to teach and all people want to do is shop. She gets stuck in a rickety old bus with her bus driver Poopie (...actually i got nothin) and thus is our plot.

Its a decent enough story done with a decent enough ensemble cast (with Dreyfus standing out) but overall thats JUST what this movie is...decent...and nothing more. It has no true flaws or problems but it has nothing remarkable or rememberable. I guess if you love Nia Vardalos, Greece or Richard Dreyfus then rush to rent this now but otherwise its a meh.

MY VERDICT: RENT IT

No comments:

Post a Comment